How To Protect Target Items From Burglars
When burglars break into our homes, they often target specific items. These items tend to have one primary thing in common: They have a high value and are generally untraceable on the black market. Understanding what these items are is an important part of your home security strategy. Protecting them will not only reduce the financial impact of a break-in but can also help deter criminals from targeting your home in the first place.
The Seven Most Targeted Items By Thieves
No matter where you live in TX, there are some common items that are always targeted by thieves. These include:
- Electronics like TVs, phones, laptops, and tablets
- Firearms and other weaponry
- Tools and power tools
- Golfing equipment
All of these items hold a lot of value and are difficult to trace. Even electronics with distinct serial numbers often are hard for police to locate once they’ve been stolen. When developing your home security strategy, keep these items in mind as things that need an extra layer of protection.
Robust Strategies To Protect Targeted Items
There are several strategies you can deploy to help keep these items protected:
- Keep Targeted Items Out Of Sight: If criminals do not know that you have these items, they will be less likely to target your home. Make sure that none of these items are visible from the street through your windows. Also make sure to destroy any boxes or receipts before putting them in the trash. Criminals often go through the trash to find targets.
- Invest In Secure Storage: For high value items that you don’t use frequently, consider investing in safe storage. At your home, consider investing in a high quality safe. Make sure to have a code that is difficult to crack and never share it with anyone. Also take steps to secure your safe. One great idea is to bolt it to the floor. If you want an added layer of security, consider getting a safe deposit box at your bank. This is a great strategy for irreplaceable items like your great grandmother’s ring.
- Deploy Your Security System: There are a variety of security system features that can help you protect these specific items. Implementing motion detector sensors, surveillance cameras, and alarms can add an extra layer of protection. These integrated into your home security system will ensure that when thieves attempt to grab these valuable items, there are barriers. These strategies will also help protect these items from internal theft. Sadly 61.5% of burglaries are committed by someone the homeowner knew. Having targeted security is far more helpful in these cases than a standard home security system.
These strategies can help you protect these targeted items. For more ideas, you’ll want to work with your security professional. They will assess your possessions and help you come up with a comprehensive strategy to keep them out of the hands of thieves.